Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A home for Grace

We are a foster family again.

Despite weekend travels, pregnancy, a toddler who leaves me completely exhausted by days end, and the death of my father-in-law, we took on a temporary house guest. And her name is Grace.

We've fostered on and off in the past and because of my rescue connections found out that a transport is scheduled for this Friday. Tennessee is notorious for euthanizing pets, but it's only because there are so many homeless animals. And so few are spayed or neutered.

Around the same time as I learned this piece of information, I was browsing http://www.petharbor.com/ and noticed a high kill shelter in our area was getting ready for the week's list of unadopted pets. My eyes locked on a photo of an older yellow dog that was quietly laying with his nose between her paws in a metal kennel. At six years old, I knew she wouldn't make it out. Not even small dogs, purebreds, or puppies made it out safely very often.

I shot an email to my rescue coordinator and within days was driving home with a very happy Grace riding in the back of our SUV. And as luck would have it, she adored children.

In the beginning Grace basically ignored me but would strain to be near my son. She wouldn't overwhealm him, just be within his reach and watching over him. The sweet natured lab mix was housebroken and happy to do whatever we asked of her.

She may not be the youngest, but she has been one of the best foster dogs we've had. There are many benefits to age, including a level head and knowing when to run and play and when to take a nap.

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotion and exhaustion but Grace has enriched our lives. This Friday she will leave on the transport to NY state and hopefully find a new family quickly.

She certainly deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment